Nets announce 4 players test positive for COVID-19By Amber Lee
The Nets announce that four players tested positive for COVID-19 pic.twitter.com/S0kAztSG8g
— Malika Andrews (@malika_andrews) March 17, 2020
Four members of the Brooklyn Nets have tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Tuesday, per ESPN’s Malika Andrews.
“Of the four, one player is exhibiting symptoms while three are asymptomatic,” the team added in a statement. “All four players are presently isolated and under the care of team physicians.”
The Nets added the organization presently is notifying anyone who has had known contact with the players, including recent opponents. They said they are working closely with state and local health authorities on reporting.
“All players and members of the Nets travel party are being asked to remain isolated, closely monitor their health and maintain constant communication with team medical staff,” the statement said. “The health of our players and staff is of the highest priority to the organization and the team is doing everything within its power to ensure that those affected receive the best care possible.
The players, as yet unidentified, join the three other previously identified players who have tested positive — Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell of the Utah Jazz and Christian Wood of the Detroit Pistons.
The Pistons and Jazz had played each other in the days leading up to Gobert’s positive test result and it was assumed that one had infected the other.
The Nets have not played the Pistons or Jazz recently which means we’re looking at another pathway by which the virus has entered the NBA population.
The NBA season is currently suspended, a decision that is due to be re-evaluated after 30 days.
However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have issued new guidelines recommending against gatherings of more than 50 people for at least eight weeks.
That makes it unlikely the NBA could resume play before mid-June at the earliest.