Steven Wright Handed 80-Game Ban by MLBBy David A.
On Wednesday, Major League Baseball handed down an 80-game ban to Boston Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright. The decision was made after the knuckleballer had tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.
MLB said a test done on Wright had come back positive for GHRP-2 – growth hormone releasing peptide 2.
In Fort Myers, Florida, Wright told the media on Wednesday he failed a test during the offseason and appealed. Wright added that he could not figure out how that substance was in his body. Although, when all is said and done it was his responsibility.
Steven Wright told the media that he was not able to prove it had been unintentional. As a result, he had to accept the suspension.
The suspension begins at the start of the 2019 regular season and means Wright will not be eligible to play in the postseason in 2019.
Want $250 to bet on MLB futures?
The Boston Red Sox released an official team statement that said they support MLB’s program to eliminate PED’s from baseball and while the team is disappointed about Wright’s violation, appropriate support will be given to him.
The knuckleballer, who in 2016 was an All-Star, began the 2018 regular season late after having knee surgery and serving a suspension of 15 games under MLB’s domestic violence policy.
In January, he agreed with the Red Sox to a contract for one year worth $1.375 million to avoid arbitration.
Steven Wright (34), was 3-1 in four starts and 16 appearances in relief with an ERA of 2.68 last season. He was taken off Boston’s roster for the American League Division Series after Game 1 with the New York Yankees after hurting his knee while working out. He underwent knee surgery in mid-November.
The bullpen for Boston is its biggest unknown entering the 2019 campaign as both closer Craig Kimbrel and Joe Kelly exited during free agency.
Ryan Brasier, Tyler Thornburg and Matt Barnes will likely share the roles left open by Kimbrel and Kelly. Kimbrel has yet to sign with another team.